I'm in grad school for oceanography.

Friday, May 21, 2004

My new glasses don't suck. But there is a lot more distortion around the edges than before.

The three topics in yesterday's post could each be 15 minutes worth of topics.

8:29 pm

Gmail sounds really cool in that it will be my final internet address as far as email goes. That's a good reason to get. Of course, the name sounding cool doesn't hurt. Further, techies will be envious. (Except for when the worst thing that could possibly happens to gmail does, and all my email disappears. Then snickers and laughs come.)

A really cool name will include math stuff because its the address for a (budding) mathematician. Everyone needs to know its math stuff, so it needs to be a little obvious, but a little bit more will make math people envious.

A famous person would be good, or his theorem. Euclid, Newton, Gauss.

Two-word length is good. Short is good.

"pure.math" works. The unaware public will be like, "he's weird." math people will look at it and get a bit of my character, I think.

(It's only 8:36. Now I need to come up with some filler.)
Why not "pure.math"? I don't know if I really want to do pure math. Its hard. In the reader's mind, applied mathematicians are going to get a vibe of attitude. It doesn't give a sense of me knowing something especially cool. Its generic sounding, which is funny, because email addresses are unique.

something.theorem would be damn cool. lagrangestheorem. cauchy.theorem (And I can't pronounce it!) euclids.elements. integration. fundamental.theorem

Another trip through my notebook is needed. Something needs to bite me on the ass, better than pure.math. Division.alogorithim is dan's thunder; using it is like theft.

8:44, Bitch!

No comments: