I'm in grad school for oceanography.

Friday, August 06, 2004

This has started coming up at the Kitchen, so I suppose its time to state and support a thesis.

I love math. I love the creativity that goes into problem solving, the satisfaction and piece-of-mind of success and comprehension, and the beauty of how it rigorously and consistently fits together. That's what gives me the energy and passion to keep working at it. That's why I seem like a little bit of red-ass about notation and recollection.

I am a red-ass about notation because that lets mathematicians clearly communicate with each other. Clear communication is the key to learning faster. I am a red-ass about recollection because I will not waste my time refreshing my memory with something I have already done.

Because I love math, it will become my job. I can't imagine loving something so much and not having it support my livelihood, nor can I imagine working 40+ hours a week on something that I do not love. Because I like being successful, my two bits of red-ass will serve me well. I will work hard. I must borrow Allison Glock's words on Randy Johnson: Math "is my job. And jobs are meant to be work and work is meant to be hard and hard is what life is and any fool who can't see that better go waste somebody else's time because there is nothing that" I like less than having somebody mail it in.

Teaching in a public school is a probable outcome. The public will be paying my wage, as well as my students (or their parents). I owe to all to be a professional: expert, all the time, and demanding of my students. I need to challenge every one of them, though each of them may have a different challenge. (Inspiration: Paul Lo Duca, Professional Baseball Player.)

I am coming. Math professionals better consider themselves on notice. Since I feel compelled to do public service as well, everyone else may consider themselves on delayed notice.

Time to hammer some dishes.

No comments: