I'm in grad school for oceanography.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

I haven't written for a while, not even in my journal. I have no tension in my life right now, I think. So fifteen minutes on something that has gotten me excited lately.

I love two women's sports. One I have loved for a while: women's soccer. With the Olympics on every night, I now love women's beach volleyball, particularly the two women's teams of gold medalists Misty May and Kerri Walsh and the bronze medalists of Holly McPeak and Elaine Youngs.

Why do I love women's sports? Part of it is that there a often a lot a good-looking, good-figured women running around on my tv screen (and doing so in bikinis, if its volleyball).

The other part of it is that the women compete at a level where it makes it look like I could play with them. That is flatly impossible, though. Why do I think I could play? It might be the general overall lack of athletic talent displayed. When I think of outstanding athletic performances, I think of Jim Edmonds, Torii Hunter, Mike Cameron or the Kenny Lofton of the second half of the nineties tracking down a fly ball that nobody else can catch, of Antonio Freeman making a circus catch laying on the 10-yard line during MNF against the Vikings, of Bo Jackson asking for time then one-handing a bomb or Barry Bonds in general. That's what I think of really outstanding athletic feats, and women's sports tend to lack those, but only perhaps I'm not versed enough in soccer or volleyball to know what an athletic play looks like. (Also, using those standards, there a lot of guys who don't display a lot of athletic talent either. Maybe I view all relatively, and I can't seperate men's and women's perfomances yet.)

Also, it might just be that the ladies are so good they make it all look effortless. I kinda like that second explanation.

Part of it is that soccer and volleyball look like a hell of a lot of fun, too.

These two sports are what I'm going to attend at the next summer Olympics held in America.

College women's indoor volleyball is cool, too. I should go watch some of that next year.

Gymnastics is for pedophiles.

Time.

No comments: