Somebody finally got the unwired Internet in his house.
Now this is really a math blog.
I have three math classes this term, and they're all going to try to kick my ass.
Analysis is four days a week and is the foundations of calculus. The instructor, Dr. Fiesty, is curious about numbers. Curious people are always dangerous for me because they're going to get me to work. (that might be a sign that the numbers game is for me: I'm not so curious about it lately. It's starting to become work for me, not so much fun. Grad school could become a lot more difficult if I am not curious. I hope this doesn't mean I've reached an intellectual plateau.) Dr. Fiesty regularly tests and asks all sorts of questions, not just proofs.
Geometry is three long days a week. Its more a through, axiomatic study of a system than anything else. It's easy to get bored in class because we just present proofs all day. Time to turn into a dick to hold interest in any of it. (it's part of my plan to win friends and influence people. Everybody in class, save for me, is willing to make copies of their proofs and wants a copy of everybody else's proofs. So I'm different. another aside: dan turned into a dick last year when he thought the insttructor was playing favorites. Having to think all the time is a way to stay interested and focused on class, opposed to, say, the presetener's or a classmate's boobies.)
Capstone is where I will prove or disprove myself to be a mathematical professional. All my work for my topic will be generated by me. The pace will be kept by me. If I've got what it takes, it will show in capstone. Capstone is my real job: it is the thing that I have to do everyday.
What happened in capstone this last week? Nothing. I didn't do a damn thing. However, there's a lot I can do, and when I'm out of bed tomarrow morning, I'll work on it while watching the morning political shows.
I'm in grad school for oceanography.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment