I'm in grad school for oceanography.

Thursday, September 09, 2004

The Internet ate my last post. Will it eat this one as well?

No! In fact, it didn't eat the last one, either. Silly Internet!

Wednesday afternoon, I purchased a tube, pump and bag for my new bike up at Siskiyou Cyclery. On my way home, I collided with a right-turning car. I was probably going too fast, and the driver didn't check his mirror.

I'm okay, just a bump on my shin and a sore left shoulder. My back and neck need some stretching to feel better.

The handlebars on the bike are being replaced, as is the tape. I'll also get a thirty-five dollar check-up on the ride as well. That make it close to perfect.

I left a big dent on the rear passenger door where I struck the car. A thigh-knee-and-calf shaped dent. I'm proud of it. The driver remarked that I "have a hard body."

There are three memories. First, I see the car start to turn right and think, "Maybe I can avoid this." The next instant is me inches away from impact, thinking, "Oh. Shit.". I don't remember the inbetween time. Third, I'm picking myself up off the ground, putting my hands on my knees. I then notice I'm trembling. Adreneline must have kicked in.

The driver offered to pay for everything. My bike is in the shop now, has been since shortly after the accident. He said he would pay for everything, and do it this morning. Hopefully I'll get a call tomarrow before lunch informing that I can pick up my bike at any time.

---

I need to get shoes for the bike. I might have to spend at least 70 bucks. All biking stuff seems to be expensive. I think I can get a timbuk2 bag shortly. I'll get paid on Friday since that is a regular pay day and Sunday as well because that is my last day and I gave sufficient notice that I must be payed on my last working day.

Saturday morning I want to go for a group ride on my bike. There is a cycling club in the greater Medford-Ashland area that guides group rides. That will be fun to go on and it will give me a good oppertunity to practice with my bike. I want to get to the point where I can start entering some kind of race. Cycling might be the sport for me. Running is too much structural pain, and other sports, save for golf, do not encourage new participants latter in life.

No comments: