I'm in grad school for oceanography.

Monday, November 24, 2003

My math class this term is Math 311: Number Structures. Its the first hard math class I've had in a while, since the winter term of 2001. That's nearly two years, which seems an eternity. Today was different though. Today, I started getting it.

At first, the day started like any other: I was confused. The scary part was, we were discussing a test we had just taken. At 2:15, 15 minutes into class, I turned to Dan, the guy who sits next to me, and told him, "I know less now then I did when class started." This is true nearly every day.

After talking about the test, we moved into our new topic, functions. We defined a few things, then we got to prove something about two sets being equal. Then, I wound up being able to prove it, all by my lonesome. It was a monumental day. (The Doctor, who teaches our class, thinks we'll figure out sets proved equal through double inclusion by the end of the term. It might be the only thing I figure out by the end of the term. In fact, every time he mentions "sets" or "equal", I'm just going to call out double-inclusion.)

No comments: